Hello There, Guest!  

[OBG] Genetic and Environmental Determinants of IQ in Black, White, and Hispanic Amer

Note that I am just being useful and reviewing, I am not a reviewer for this journal so my vote has no power.
(2014-Sep-07, 21:44:22)Emil Wrote: Note that I am just being useful and reviewing, I am not a reviewer for this journal so my vote has no power.

That's a problem, since this leaves, apart from MH:

Duxide
Peter Frost
nooffensebut

HBFFernandes
LYNNR540@aol.com
Gmeisenberg

And the latter three aren't particularly involved; can I submit this to ODP, instead?
Yes, this journal has only 4 reviewers, and 3 votes are needed.

I have functioned as a reviewer once in the past (for one of Peter Frost's papers) and am qualified to cover this, but not all topics in genetics.
Chuck, what do you mean by "tentative approval" ? Maybe my post wasn't very clear, but in fact I already gave you my approval. You have it. Concerning switching from OBG to ODP, my question is... is that really appropriate ? I know this journal don't have lot of OBG reviewers, or enough to get involved, but still, I'm wondering if it's alright with ODP. Ideally, we should probably try to email some people around, and see if they accept to review it (that is, if nooffensebut, Piffer, Frost and others here are uninvolved). One problem is that non-hereditarians will surely not approve it, for ideological and political reasons. So, you have only a very limited pool of reviewers.
Of the two journals, OBG is the natural home. ODP could take it but it makes no sense and is clearly just to get other/more reviewers.

You should write around to non-prominent behavior geneticists and ask if they want to review for the journal. The reason to avoid prominent ones is that they are overlflooded with emails etc., don't have time. Best is to get up and coming ones who favor open source source (open access, open data, open methods, etc.).
(2014-Sep-07, 19:35:52)Chuck Wrote:
(2014-Sep-07, 01:49:42)menghu1001 Wrote: I can give my approval for this piece. However, I would like the tables to be better made next time.

In your final version, don't forget to change "Meile" by "Miele" :

Quote:Three of the studies, Vandenberg (1970), Osborne and Meile (1969), and Osborne and Gregor (1968), were redundant with Osborne (1980) and so were excluded.

So I have one tentative approval.

Emil and Davide can you review my corrections?

I reviewed it and I eventually will give you my approval. I still have a quibble: I've never met the word "Environmentality" in the context of behavior genetics before. It sounds odd. Where did you get it from?
I have seen it multiple times. Plomin et al 2012 use it as a headline even. Jensen 1998 uses it on p. 449. About 500 results on Google for: environmentality hereditability.
(2014-Sep-08, 13:02:31)Duxide Wrote: I reviewed it and I eventually will give you my approval. I still have a quibble: I've never met the word "Environmentality" in the context of behavior genetics before. It sounds odd. Where did you get it from?

I first saw it in Rushton and Jensen (2005; 2010), then elsewhere.

It's: 1-heritability

"cultural theory predicts a positive correlation between environmentality and group differences." (Rushton, J. P., & Jensen, A. R. (2010)
(2014-Sep-08, 15:04:06)Emil Wrote: I have seen it multiple times. Plomin et al 2012 use it as a headline even. Jensen 1998 uses it on p. 449. About 500 results on Google for: environmentality hereditability.

I've done half a PhD in behavior genetics and attended conferences and workshops on BG but I never heard that expression. It's totally underused.
Wikipedia has only this definition, which is entirely different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecogovernmentality

However, I acknowledge that some people use that word. It just sounded odd to me.

I give my approval for publication because I think this is an important area of research.
Now you've got 2 approvals (MH and myself). OpenPsych allows authors to pick an external reviewer with qualifications (it's not for the editor to vet that as this would introduce subjectivity and potential abuse of power so I cannot forbid you from naming anyone. I'll just trust your good sense and of course I can raise my objections if I am not satisfied and other reviewers can do the same, but as editor I cannot veto it. However, if 3 reviewers are against your external reviewer, you'll have to find another one, but hopefully this won't be necessary).