Hello There, Guest!  

[ODP] Criminal and antisocial behavior and cognitive ability in a sample of dating si

Thanks for the review, Gerhard.

Quote:1. In Figure 1, why is prison so high up on the X axis? According to Table 2 its correlation with cognitive ability should be almost as negative as the correlations for arrested and punched. Also, you should mention that this "Jensen effect" is not statistically significant (although suggestive) because of the small sample size of N = 5.

You are right! There is a discrepancy. That's not good. However, I found the bug. In my function to calculate the latent correlations, the method used to handle missing data was rowwise exclusion, while in the other case it was pairwise. I have changed the function to use pairwise as well and now the numbers match. The Jensen coefficient is now -.82.

I added a sentence about the high uncertainty. The confidence interval was already given in the plot, but just to be safe, it's okay to mention in the text as well.

In general, these single study Jensen's method results with few indicators (say, <30) are not to be taken too seriously. Better to do a bunch of studies and then meta-analyze á la te Nijenhuis.

Quote: 2. Last 2 sentences: If smarter people are more likely to admit to criminal or antisocial behaviors or ideation, this would not necessarily bias the correlations to zero, and the opposite to 1. In the first case, it would make the crime-IQ correlation more positive (less negative), and in the latter case it would make it more negative.

I agree. That's also what I wrote. I wrote "towards 0/1", not "to 0/1".

Quote: 3. Check the spelling throughout. There are multiple corrections needed.

I have read over the paper and corrected a number of spelling errors. Discussion has been substantially rewritten.

Files updated.

Messages In This Thread
[ODP] Criminal and antisocial behavior and cognitive ability in a sample of dating si - by Emil - 2016-Oct-22, 20:49:27
RE: [ODP] Crime and cognitive ability in a sample of dating site users - by Emil - 2016-Oct-24, 17:32:35
RE: [ODP] Crime and cognitive ability in a sample of dating site users - by Gmeisenberg - 2016-Oct-25, 18:09:27
RE: [ODP] Crime and cognitive ability in a sample of dating site users - by Emil - 2016-Oct-25, 18:20:07
RE: [ODP] Crime and cognitive ability in a sample of dating site users - by Emil - 2016-Nov-04, 06:51:09
RE: [ODP] Crime and cognitive ability in a sample of dating site users - by Gmeisenberg - 2016-Nov-04, 16:25:06
RE: [ODP] Crime and cognitive ability in a sample of dating site users - by Emil - 2016-Nov-10, 21:22:37
RE: [ODP] Crime and cognitive ability in a sample of dating site users - by John P Wright - 2016-Nov-11, 20:17:03
RE: [ODP] Crime and cognitive ability in a sample of dating site users - by Emil - 2016-Nov-12, 01:34:00
RE: [ODP] Crime and cognitive ability in a sample of dating site users - by Emil - 2016-Nov-16, 22:08:23
RE: [ODP] Crime and cognitive ability in a sample of dating site users - by John P Wright - 2016-Nov-17, 23:29:00
RE: [ODP] Crime and cognitive ability in a sample of dating site users - by Emil - 2016-Nov-18, 03:17:55
RE: [ODP] Criminal and antisocial behavior and cognitive ability in a sample of dating si - by Emil - 2016-Nov-25, 16:35:06
RE: [ODP] Criminal and antisocial behavior and cognitive ability in a sample of dating si - by Emil - 2017-Dec-14, 07:55:36
John P Wright - by John P Wright - 2017-Dec-14, 16:47:55
RE: [ODP] Criminal and antisocial behavior and cognitive ability in a sample of dating si - by Emil - 2018-Feb-05, 06:45:33