Hello There, Guest!  

[OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different

This is well-written and rather-straightforward. I’m ok with accepting the version I read. Emil might consider any of the changes I suggest below, but these are not required. My comments on sub-domains, I think, would add to the paper, but the time involved to do this would likely not be worth the incremental benefit.

1. I’m uncomfortable adjusting for population size when looking specifically at aggregate level data—i.e., geo-political subdivisions such as states, prefects, nations, etc. The unit of analysis here is uniquely a prefecture, and there are important mean differences across prefectures, including population size. To treat the latter as unique and something that needs controlled for (versus something that might be a variable in the S factor) seems arbitrary. I get that the correction allows the data to make sense relative to other data sets, but the correction makes me uneasy in ways that I wish I could express better (and so I could be wrong on this point). Also, as far as I can tell, no explanation is offered for why density mediates the S/IQ relationship.

2. (Minor). Perhaps expand more on Jensen’s method, unless you think all readers here would be familiar with it.

3. Quantitatively, you do a fine job identifying and excluding redundant variables. Qualitatively, you do not. For example, I don’t see “In work male” and “unemployment male” to be unique enough to include in the same analyses. The sum of both define “male labor force participation,” and so I think these should be summed and collapsed into one variable. Labor participation, unemployment, and unemployment benefits seem like examples of this as well.

4. I suggest calculating S factors hierarchically—as we do with g. There are sub-domains of well-being (income, health, crime...) that could be derived. Thereafter, S could be extracted from the sub-domains. In the USA, for example, though a very strong S factor exists, the sub-domains show divergent validity with other variables. For example, health and religiosity correlate more strongly with IQ than does income and education (albeit the education factor for the USA contains relatively few variables—the downside to my suggestion is to make sure each sub-domain is equally construct valid).

5. I’ve considered IQ to be a central node in the S nexus for the USA. You instead use S to predict IQ. I wonder if IQ is just a sub-domain of S, or a cause/effect of S.

6. Right before Section 3, “the data are from Kura and the second that they are from myself.”

Messages In This Thread
[OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-17, 20:39:57
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by ljzigerell - 2015-Dec-18, 06:40:56
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-18, 07:43:46
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by ljzigerell - 2015-Dec-18, 18:38:52
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 06:06:58
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by ljzigerell - 2015-Dec-23, 09:31:09
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Kenya Kura - 2015-Dec-23, 19:09:56
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Kenya Kura - 2015-Dec-21, 17:43:59
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 11:17:58
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 15:57:40
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 23:05:40
Proofreading - by Emil - 2015-Dec-27, 22:08:17
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by bpesta22 - 2016-Jan-25, 18:27:51
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2016-Jan-25, 22:23:50
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by bpesta22 - 2016-Jan-29, 19:56:06
Reply to Pesta - by Emil - 2016-Jan-30, 11:50:54
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by NoahCarl - 2016-Apr-04, 16:44:02
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2016-Apr-05, 23:29:41
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by NoahCarl - 2016-Apr-06, 12:00:22
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2016-Apr-06, 19:18:35