Hello There, Guest!  

[OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different

I was also very surprised by the results after considering the log of population density. Let us look at the Figure2 and the figure after controlling the population density

http://openpsych.net/forum/attachment.php?aid=688.

Apparently, they make an eye-opening contrast. The latter is the kind of figure that we repeatedly saw in the previous analyses. Together with the results shown in Figure 6 and Figure 7, all of them seem to make a good sense.

I would strongly like the altered figure of indicator sampling reliability (, that Emil showed in the discussion section and I cited above) to be included in the main text.

__

I also still wonder what more exactly can be the meaning of the log of population density. As Emil stated in the comment section, I understand that the unban regions are in general higher in their S factor scores, but I am not quite sure about the reason for such phenomena. Could it be that the more densely people are dwelling or packed together, the more socially desirable behavior they have to obtain in order to live together?

I might also want to suggest that, at least within the history of these 150 years of modernization, the most intelligent people have constantly migrated to big cities. This tendency could have accumulated to the level that urban prefectures with higher population density show elevated levels of the S factor. However, one can wonder if this social phenomenon (migration of population) in Japan could be so different from the same kind of situations of the United States, or Brazil, and other countries.

Table 2 shows that controlling for the population density increases the proportion of correlations (more than .5) from .53 to .57, while controlling for their log increases it to .93, which obviously better-fits the dataset. As Emil pointed out, this implies that Tokyo (most densely populated region) has the level of the unknown potential variable as 100 times higher than that of Hokkaido (most sparse region). What factor could be so sensitive to the population density?

As L.J. Zigerell suggested, in general, I agree that the ethnic fractualization could magnify the S factor, or at least make the extraction of the S factor more easily. Japan has very small foreign born (and mixed) population to date and this unique situation may be making the Japanese picture quite different from other countries. These questions are left for the future research of the S factor. I will be looking forward to seeing it.

Messages In This Thread
[OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-17, 20:39:57
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by ljzigerell - 2015-Dec-18, 06:40:56
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-18, 07:43:46
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by ljzigerell - 2015-Dec-18, 18:38:52
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 06:06:58
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by ljzigerell - 2015-Dec-23, 09:31:09
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Kenya Kura - 2015-Dec-23, 19:09:56
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Kenya Kura - 2015-Dec-21, 17:43:59
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 11:17:58
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 15:57:40
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 23:05:40
Proofreading - by Emil - 2015-Dec-27, 22:08:17
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by bpesta22 - 2016-Jan-25, 18:27:51
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2016-Jan-25, 22:23:50
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by bpesta22 - 2016-Jan-29, 19:56:06
Reply to Pesta - by Emil - 2016-Jan-30, 11:50:54
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by NoahCarl - 2016-Apr-04, 16:44:02
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2016-Apr-05, 23:29:41
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by NoahCarl - 2016-Apr-06, 12:00:22
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2016-Apr-06, 19:18:35