Hello There, Guest!  

[OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different

Thanks for the comment.

(2015-Dec-18, 06:40:56)ljzigerell Wrote: Very interesting.

1. In terms of presentation, the patterns in Figure 3 are not obvious because -- to assess whether a particular variable reflects the expected pattern -- a reader must read the variable label and then consider whether the expected loading would be positive or negative. It might make the figure easier to interpret to instead plot the inverse of undesirable variables such as divorce so that the expected loadings are positive for all variables; then the reader can simply check whether the point for the variable is to the left or right of zero.

3. It's not clear that some of the variables are necessarily desirable. Museums and libraries negatively correlate with population, which might reflect big cities having fewer-but-bigger libraries; if so, it's not obvious that having a lot of small libraries is better than having fewer big libraries with more amenities.

These two points together are the reason why I do not just reverse the variables -- there is often disagreement about whether they reflect good or bad outcomes!

As you note, one can interpret the museums and libraries findings in a positive light by arguing that it is better to have a few large units than many small units per capita. This is of course assuming that the total size is held constant, something which is not given by the data. I had thought of the same interpretation.

But how much of this kind of thinking is hindsight bias or post hoc theorizing? I rather avoid possible bias by not 'encoding the results' using my interpretations.

As for divorce, some people are against marriage. For instance, divorce and lack of marriage could be seen as unnecessary government interference of civil matters (libertarians) or as a sign of female empowerment (feminists). According to Wikipedia, there seems to be some people like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_privatization https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_...t_approach

Quote:2. It might be worth considering suspicions about the accuracy of Japan's reported abortion rates and suicide rates (e.g., https://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/25s3099.html, http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/02...nN3SFJRKDk). I'm not sure that misreporting would vary by prefecture, but combining homicides and suicides into an unnatural death measure might avoid at least part of any measurement problems with the suicide measure.

Yes, but the results showed that the results were not dependent on the abortion measure (indicator sampling reliability). Results for the dataset without that indicator were also not in line with expectations.

I have also tried without the abortion variable at all (before you brought it up when I was trying to figure out what was wrong). Nothing much changes.

Quote:4. I did not see this pattern in the Mexico S factor study, but it appears that the S factors for the Japan prefectures in Figure 4 correlate fairly highly with population or at least population density. I think that all but one of the top 15 prefectures by population have an S factor above zero, and the two prefectures of those 15 with the lowest S factors (Hokkaidō, and Niigata-ken) have the lowest population density of those 15. Moreover, all but one of the bottom 15 prefectures by population have an S factor below zero, and the one prefecture with an S factor in that set above zero (Kagawa-ken) has the highest population density of that set. I'm not sure what -- if anything -- to make of that, though.

Population density is tricky. On the one hand, population density presumably increases crime rates (by presenting more opportunities for crime and more human conflict), but it is also often a sign of urbanicity, which usually has a positive loading. Thus, one could argue either for inclusion of population density as an indicator, or controlling the indicators for it.

Perhaps I could try both approaches: in the main results, include it as an indicator like the others. For a robustness section, try the analyses corrected for (with residualization like in the French departments study, coming out in Mankind Quarterly soon) population density.

Thoughts?

Messages In This Thread
[OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-17, 20:39:57
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by ljzigerell - 2015-Dec-18, 06:40:56
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-18, 07:43:46
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by ljzigerell - 2015-Dec-18, 18:38:52
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 06:06:58
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by ljzigerell - 2015-Dec-23, 09:31:09
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Kenya Kura - 2015-Dec-23, 19:09:56
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Kenya Kura - 2015-Dec-21, 17:43:59
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 11:17:58
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 15:57:40
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2015-Dec-23, 23:05:40
Proofreading - by Emil - 2015-Dec-27, 22:08:17
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by bpesta22 - 2016-Jan-25, 18:27:51
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2016-Jan-25, 22:23:50
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by bpesta22 - 2016-Jan-29, 19:56:06
Reply to Pesta - by Emil - 2016-Jan-30, 11:50:54
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by NoahCarl - 2016-Apr-04, 16:44:02
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2016-Apr-05, 23:29:41
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by NoahCarl - 2016-Apr-06, 12:00:22
RE: [OQSPS] Inequality across prefectures in Japan is different - by Emil - 2016-Apr-06, 19:18:35