Hello There, Guest!  

[ODP] Crime among Dutch immigrant groups

I wanted to see if you had something more to say. It's not as if I have any objections.

However, I would like you to put the entire title in the first post, because now it's this :

Quote:Title:
Crime among Dutch immigrant groups

Also,

Quote:In Danish reports of concerning immigrant criminality, it has been noted that the second generation is more criminal than the first.[13] However, these analyses did not control for composition changes from the first to the second generation. In order to avoid error from that source, one can look up particular countries of origin and the crime rates among first and second generation.

It's not clear what you mean by composition changes. The last sentence sounds as if you are talking about racial composition. So you should say it explicitly.

Regardless, I approve.
I mean population origin composition changes, racial or not. How would you like me to phrase it?
Maybe "composition changes in population's origin" ?
What about the simple "population compositional changes"? Or I can add a footnote?
(2014-Dec-12, 22:10:32)Emil Wrote: What about the simple "population compositional changes"? Or I can add a footnote?

Yes, that's good. For the second question, just do as you want. It's not too important.
(2014-Dec-13, 00:29:13)Meng Hu Wrote:
(2014-Dec-12, 22:10:32)Emil Wrote: What about the simple "population compositional changes"? Or I can add a footnote?

Yes, that's good. For the second question, just do as you want. It's not too important.

I have changed it to:

Quote:However, these analyses did not control for population composition changes from the first to the second generation, that is, which countries people have their origin in.

Which is hopefully clearer.

I have also changed the abstract:

Quote:Data about crime suspects among Dutch immigrant groups was obtained from an older Dutch-language report. Correlations with predictor variables varied a lot. The mean correlations were: National IQ (-.55), age heaping, 1900 (-.44), Islam prevalence (.24), international general socioeconomic factor (-.45). Crime among immigrant groups is substantially predictable from country-level variables in the Netherlands.

Otherwise, no changes.

I will update the OSF repo with the new version shortly.
I had apparently forgotten to post the new draft. My mistake.

Here it is. Draft #7.
Can anyone else comment on this paper?

Meng Hu has hiven his approval. Peter Frost commented earlier on. Need 3 more.
(2015-Mar-11, 07:28:31)Emil Wrote: Can anyone else comment on this paper?

Meng Hu has given his approval. Peter Frost commented earlier on. Need 3 more.

Were you not able to correlate the immigrant crime rates in the Netherlands with those in e.g., Norway and Finland. Did the groups not overlap enough?

Also can you check the citations to make sure that they are consistent e.g., always before a punctuation mark with a space preceding them.

Generally, I am fine with this analysis. I approve.
(2015-Mar-18, 00:04:43)Chuck Wrote: Were you not able to correlate the immigrant crime rates in the Netherlands with those in e.g., Norway and Finland. Did the groups not overlap enough?

You can. However, I rather save the job of doing a big review of the immigrant data to later. It is complicated to compare data across countries. The countries in the samples vary, their generations, some data is not age-controlled, some is, and so on.

However, I did a quick analysis for you. I picked most of the crime variables I could think of from the earlier studies and correlated them all. See attached.

Quote:Also can you check the citations to make sure that they are consistent e.g., always before a punctuation mark with a space preceding them.

I will.

Quote:Generally, I am fine with this analysis. I approve.

1 more reviewer approval needed, given the new rules.

R code for getting the crime correlations.

Code:
library("devtools")
source_url("https://github.com/Deleetdk/psych2/raw/master/psych2.R")
mega = read.mega("Megadataset_v2.0e.csv")

crime = data.frame(mega$NorwayPusnishments2011,
                   mega$NorwayPusnishments2012,
                   mega$NorwayPunishedPersons2011,
                   mega$NorwayPunishedPersons2012,
                   mega$CrimeRateNorwaySkardhamarHenriksen2011,
                   mega$CrimeRateNorwaySkardhamarHenriksen2011_2,
                   mega$NorwayLarcenyAdjustedOddsRatioSkardhamar2014,
                   mega$NorwayViolentCrimeAdjustedOddsRatioSkardhamar2014,
                   mega$DutchCrime12_17men,
                   mega$DutchCrime18_24men,
                   mega$Denmark.All_crime_age_15_19,
                   mega$Denmark.All_crime_age_20_29,