Hello There, Guest!  
 Previous 1 2 3 4 5 9 Next   

[ODP] The Scandinavian WAIS IV Matrices as a Test of Dutton, te Nijenhuis and Rovaine

A note on terminology. LV's books summarize other studies and report findings, but generally do not meta-analyze studies. I don't know if V has published meta-analyses before, but Lynn has done a number (e.g. sex diffs in RPM).
(2014-Oct-25, 13:22:53)Emil Wrote: A note on terminology. LV's books summarize other studies and report findings, but generally do not meta-analyze studies. I don't know if V has published meta-analyses before, but Lynn has done a number (e.g. sex diffs in RPM).

Sure. But the point is that the reviewers is suggesting that a difference of 3 or so points is not down to differences in genetics but policeman or education system. But the diffence between uk and japan is around 3 points and educatinal attainment is strongly underpinned by national iq differences, so I think our argument is reasonable. However, I am happy to mention an alternative possibility if the data is sufficiently persuasive.
I did not say that politics have an impact on IQ. I said that politics have an impact on educational system.
You're quite right. But the same study we cited found that IQ has a significant influence on political orientation. That is why I would suggest that sociological arguments can ultimately be reduced to psychology.
I'm extremely busy with my own work (because it's statistically complex) so given my priorities, my answers are not as fast as I would like to.

I don't think I have lot to comment, above what I said before. Two points, however :

Quote:...we have estimated them using the reverse engineering method described in Beaujean and Sheng (2014). This involves finding the raw scores equivalent to one standard deviation above and below the mean, calculating how many raw score points each score was from the mean and squaring it to get two estimates of the variance, averaging the two variances and then taking the square root of the average to get an average standard deviation.

In general, people use the geometric mean, rather than the arithmetic mean. I do not know which one is better. But I remember when I tried it the other day in excel. When the SDs are very different, the two methods produce dissimilar results. When SDs are similar, using either method has no effect on your result.

Quote:We used 96 as the SD of CPS scores as done by Piffer and Lynn (2014). 96 is the OCSE average SD. It is better than using country SDs because using individual countries SDs inflates the IQ score of countries with lower SD.

I would like the last sentence to be more elaborated.
Some grammatical errors:
"Although Finland has a higher fluid g than Scandinavia but its CPS native score is only slightly higher than the rest of north­western Europe, at 526 points, giving a Greenwich fluid g estimate of 101.4."
"This is possible, however a meta­analysis..." This should read, "possible; however, a meta-analysis...".
"the presence of significant Northeast Asian admixture in the Finnish population" Citation, please.

I prefer the term "fluid intelligence" (or, even better "fluid skills") to "fluid g". This is quibbling, however. (Also, g should be italicized.)
It should be made clear that Finland has a much bigger advantage in PISA M,R,S performance than in fluid g and this suggests that variables associated with educational attainment such as better schooling/higher C may be contributing factors.
(2014-Oct-29, 07:43:59)Philbrick Bastinado Wrote: Some grammatical errors:
"Although Finland has a higher fluid g than Scandinavia but its CPS native score is only slightly higher than the rest of north­western Europe, at 526 points, giving a Greenwich fluid g estimate of 101.4."
"This is possible, however a meta­analysis..." This should read, "possible; however, a meta-analysis...".
"the presence of significant Northeast Asian admixture in the Finnish population" Citation, please.

I prefer the term "fluid intelligence" (or, even better "fluid skills") to "fluid g". This is quibbling, however. (Also, g should be italicized.)

E.g. http://www.eupedia.com/europe/autosomal_...ecad.shtml

[Image: East-Asian-admixture.gif]
1) In the Introduction, the meaning of "Greenwich IQ" should be clarified.

2) Looking at tables 1 and 2, the raw scores for Finland and Scandinavia are the same for ages 18-29, but Finnish IQs (US norm) are lower. Why is this?

3) "OCSE average SD"

Shouldn't it be OECD?
(2014-Oct-25, 13:22:53)Emil Wrote: A note on terminology. LV's books summarize other studies and report findings, but generally do not meta-analyze studies. I don't know if V has published meta-analyses before, but Lynn has done a number (e.g. sex diffs in RPM).

LV's books average scores from many studies, so you can call it meta-analysis. There is no clear definition of meta-analysis, and not all meta-analyses analyze moderators, etc.
 Previous 1 2 3 4 5 9 Next