Hello There, Guest!  

[ODP] A Study of the IQ in Sudan

Thanks. The table looks very good now. I have emailed the authors and asked if they can supply a scan as a supplementary file.
The authors sent me the scan. It is attached.

Attached Files
.pdf   SUDAN CPM Khatib.pdf (Size: 372.52 KB / Downloads: 505)
"There was no information on the participants of this study in terms of social class or ethnic background"

I would add:

"This may be a problem because of the social and ethnic heterogeneity of Khartoum state, particularly the large number of in-migrants, including refugees, from all parts of the country."
Maybe we can find someone who can read the original and verify the information.
(2014-Oct-17, 22:17:39)Emil Wrote: Maybe we can find someone who can read the original and verify the information.

I don't find it reasonable. Trying to find people who can read arab is no easy task, and get them ready to translate the text is even harder, as there is no reason why they would accept. No one here can read the original document. If the condition for publication is the translation of the document, I'm afraid you're making the article impossible to be published. I don't think Lynn can read it, and the numbers he has reported probably come directly from Bakhiet, who should be able to read these documents. At best, Bakhiet should confirm directly, here or by email, that the numbers are correct. I don't think we should ask more than this.

Personally, I can approve the publication of the article already. Of course, it's unfortunate we don't have information about ethnicity. But if the data is representative of the population, I don't see where the problem is.
If the authors note that the sample has unknown representativeness and that the curious reader may consult the original Arabic (if he can), then I will approve.
Meng Hu,

it is very doubtful that the sample was representative of the population of Khartoum state, since that state is ethnically heterogeneous with large numbers of migrants from the north, south, and west of Sudan. In any case, the phrase "representative of the population" has no useful meaning in this context. Most people from outside Sudan, including probably the author, assume that words like "Sudanese" or "Khartoumian" correspond to some kind of objective cultural or ethnic reality. They don't.

Let's suppose that someone tested the IQ of a hundred people in London, Paris, or Los Angeles. Would you publish that study even if it had no information at all about the participants' ethnicity?
The thing about London is that the different groups living there vary quite a bit in their mean g, but the different groups in Africa are generally thought to be quite similar in g. If so, then it is not so important which groups one sample there while it is important in London or similar.
"the different groups in Africa are generally thought to be quite similar in g."

I humbly disagree. The word 'Africa' is a geographical term that means nothing culturally or ethnically. There are at least four major culture areas within Africa: North Africa (which has more in common with the Middle East), the Horn of Africa (also influenced by the Middle East), sub-Saharan Africa, and the formerly Khoisan areas of southern Africa.

At the time of this IQ study, Sudan's territory extended into three of the above culture areas. This is why South Sudan recently seceded. It had very little in common with the rest of the country.
I meant in Sub-Saharan Africa. NA is known to be somewhat smarter (in the 85 area).

But what exactly would you want the authors to do? Information is usually scant in the studies of developing nations. The solution is to be cautious in interpreting the data, not to ignore the data entirely.