Hello There, Guest!  

[ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered

The paper is interesting and is an example of carrying out a study plan with attention to details. My primary concern with the paper involves the nature of what is a stereotype and whether the study actually measured stereotype accuracy or instead measured aggregate guessing, possibly influenced by stereotypes. The relatively low correlations suggest the latter.

The usual usage of "stereotype" is in the context of social memes about groups. As we all know, these exist for most identifiable groups (races, nationalities, social groups, etc.) and have persisted for long periods; much of the comedy we enjoy is based on stereotypes. In this study, asking people about the amount of government support received by a group, falls into a category that I believe does not follow stereotyping because it is information that is not accurately known by almost the entire population of any country.

If people were asked to describe Muslims (because this group is central to the study), the descriptions are likely to involve stereotypes pertaining to appearance and behavior. I would expect this category of stereotypes to have a much higher accuracy than the items addressed by the paper.

As a matter of curiosity, I searched Google Scholar for "stereotype -threat" to exclude stereotype threat studies. The results returned a fairly large number of papers. Three that may be worth skimming (I don't have access to them):

http://jcr.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/2/354

http://jcr.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/2/354.abstract

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/2003-88371-012
---

Solutions

The issue described above may be resolved by a careful description of the objective of the study, noting that the questions being asked were intentionally selected to require respondents to call upon their images of groups (immigrants) to guess an answer. Or, the stereotype might be identified separately from the response, for example: the immigrant is associated with a prosperous or not prosperous group (stereotype) and this indicates the direction of guessing how much government assistance is received by the group. I think the second approach is better.

The authors could simply stick to the plan and explain that there are very large numbers of stereotypes and the ones they are examining come from a rarely probed category. This approach seems less attractive to me, but it might work with some extra discussion of objective, expectations (magnitude of correlation or accuracy measure), and the notion of strong versus weak stereotyping.

I looked at dictionary definitions of "stereotype" and found a wider range than I expected. One that I think works is from Dictionary.com: "a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group." I think this definition works well for the things most people consider to be stereotypes.
---
"Participants were asked to rate themselves (0-100) on four scales: conservatism,
nationalism, economic liberalism and personal liberalism."

Were the definitions given to the participants? Were there instructions about how to choose from 0-100? Is the use of 100 points more meaningful than a narrower scale (5, 9, etc.)? I ask because a person is likely to select a number somewhat randomly and not feel that it is more or less accurate than a number over a range. I believe that people simply don't have very fine grained resolution of their reactions to questions.
---
"Participants were asked to rate their agreement (0-100) with each of the main political
parties in Denmark (15 parties), including parties outside parliament. They had the option
of stating that they had no preference or no knowledge about a particular party. This was
because the list included relatively unknown parties outside parliament."

Were party platforms given to participants? If not, are they understood by the range of people who are being asked? This item is somewhat difficult to understand from my perspective, because we have only two serious parties. I understand that more parties exist in other nations, but have no idea how they are understood by their citizens.

Text comments

These are suggestions for wording that may enhance the readability of the paper.

We examined whether stereotypes were more or less accurate for the more* Muslim groups. Stereotypes
were found to be less accurate in that they underestimated the percentages of persons from more**
Muslim groups receiving social benefits (mean estimation error for Muslim groups relative to overall
elevation error = -8.09 %points).

* change more to -- predominantly
** "more" is unclear here. Deleting the word seems to work, or another wording may clarify the meaning.
---
It found that stereotypes were moderately accurate (median correlational accuracy score = .51), but the
results are hard to generalize to the general* population.

* Following "generalize" the word "general" should be changed. Suggestions: national, or overall.
---
"We also noted that some users'
estimates were reverse of reality, indicating that they did not understand the task or that they were
purposefully filling it out in reversely." *

* suggest for last two words: "in reverse" or "backwards"
---
"Users that * fail these questions could then easily
be filtered afterwards. Additionally, we changed the order of the cognitive items to be random so that
the presenting order** could not have a systematic effect on the responses."

"For our analyses, we excluded all participants that * failed one of the first 7 controls or who gave
reversed answers"

* The use of "that" is not a serious error, but it is likely to be disconcerting to most readers. There are many grammatical discussions of "who" vs. "that" on the web. This one is worthwhile:

http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2012/0...-that.html

** change "presenting order" to "order of presentation" or "presentation order"
---
"If people rely upon GDP per capita to
estimate immigrant performance, then their estimates will be highly correlated with these * which they
are (r = -.79)."

* Something is needed to set the last three words off as a phrase. A comma at the point of the * may work.

Messages In This Thread
[ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Emil - 2016-Jul-04, 09:30:39
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by BobWilliams - 2016-Aug-07, 16:05:47
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Emil - 2016-Aug-07, 21:23:21
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Gmeisenberg - 2016-Aug-16, 22:17:17
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Emil - 2016-Aug-16, 23:28:53
Updated version for Bob and Gerhard - by Emil - 2016-Aug-17, 02:54:43
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about - by BobWilliams - 2016-Aug-17, 22:19:02
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Emil - 2016-Aug-17, 22:58:06
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about - by BobWilliams - 2016-Aug-18, 01:32:36
[ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by HeinerRindermann - 2016-Aug-20, 17:30:32
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Emil - 2016-Aug-21, 13:21:51
Reply to Rindermann - by Emil - 2016-Aug-22, 02:17:20
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Emil - 2016-Sep-04, 04:44:21
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Emil - 2016-Sep-29, 15:17:32
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Emil - 2016-Oct-21, 18:41:29
Reply to Rindermann (#15) - by Emil - 2016-Oct-21, 19:01:52
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by HeinerRindermann - 2016-Nov-01, 21:19:54
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Emil - 2016-Nov-02, 07:57:28
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by HeinerRindermann - 2016-Nov-02, 12:30:23
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Gmeisenberg - 2016-Nov-08, 19:44:34
RE: [ODP] Are stereotypes about immigrants accurate in Denmark?: a large, preregistered - by Emil - 2016-Nov-12, 02:59:09