OpenPsych forums

Full Version: Ethnic Differences in the UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Shared environment also has regression towards the mean.
(2015-Jan-11, 01:49:51)Emil Wrote: [ -> ]Shared environment also has regression towards the mean.

Imagine that trait X is 100% due to shared environment; what degree is gen2 supposed to regress? Why? Shared environment is sometimes defined in terms of the parent-offspring correlation and non-genetic inter-generational transmission. So it isn't obvious to me why this would be considered a "luck factor".
(2015-Jan-07, 21:45:20)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Galton (1800s): 22 IQ points
Lynn (1970s to present): 20 to 15 IQ points
Jensen (1970s to 2012): 10 to 15 points (corrected for % African Ancestry)
Piffer (present): 10 IQ points

So, yes, estimated differences appear to be decreasing.

That was an estimate based on 1000 Genomes, phase 1 data comprising a small sample. The phase 3 has a bigger sample (N=26). Moreover, it was not based on regression analysis but simply using the White-East Asian difference as a reference.
I factor analyzed the 4 IQ increasing alleles using the new 1KG release. Factor scores and regression results are downloadable from here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing).
The correlation between the factor scores extracted from the 4 IQ increasing alleles and Lynn and Vanhanen 2012 IQ is 0.9.
I ran two regression. First regression I used all the available IQs. In the second regression I used only IQs from developed countries (to eliminate the confouding effect of socioeconomic/environmental disparities). This left 9 cases, but the correlation between genetic factor scores and measured average IQs was even better (r=0.98), possibly because the average IQ of developed countries more closely mirrors the genotypic potential.
Col. G (yellow) shows the predicted unstandardized scores based on regressing IQ on the genetic factor, using only developed countries, adjusted as Greenwich IQ (UK set to 100).
This gives IQs for Blacks around 81-84 (Afr.Caribbean: 83.3; US Black: 83.7; Esan Nigeria 81.8; Gambian 81.9; Luhya Kenya 81.2; Mende Sierra Leone 83.5; Yoruba 81.7.
Considering only Native blacks (from Africa), the average genotypic IQ is 82, about 17 IQ POINTS LOWER THAN THE NORTH EUROPEAN IQ (99), AS AVERAGE OF BRITISH, UTAH WHITES AND FINNS.
Hispanics genotypic IQ is around 93 (Mexican 93.5, Puerto Rican 93.4) similar to the South Asian IQ (Bengali 91.3, Indian Telegu 93.5, Punjabi Pakistan 94.8).
Odd result is the very high IQ of Vietnam(105.9), which indicates that Vietnam's IQ could be depressed by bad environment.
Chinese and Japanese IQ are a bit lower than Rushton or Lynn's estimates (103-104) but it still has top position and is more similar to the IQ observed in Chinese Americans which is around 103. Probably a case for Chinese culture/writing system improving the IQs of Chinese Natives vs Chinese Americans. Otherwise, given such a small difference it could simply be random noise.

If you cite this, please cite Piffer and a link to this forum thread and google docs url.
Piffer also, in the above link estimates UK Telegu IQ at 88 , UK Sri Lankan at 81, Baghdad Bengali at 85, and Texas Gujarati at 93,. These seem questionable considering (significantly higher) South Asian IQ and gsce performance in the UK, and socioeconomic levels and known IQ data(e.g.:Richwine) from the US. I believe immigrant South Asian Pisa scores are also higher, though low in India.
(2015-Jan-11, 19:38:30)Jm8 Wrote: [ -> ]Piffer also, in the above link estimates UK Telegu IQ at 88 , UK Sri Lankan at 81, Baghdad Bengali at 85, and Texas Gujarati at 93,. These seem questionable considering (significantly higher) South Asian IQ and gsce performance in the UK, and socioeconomic levels and known IQ data(e.g.:Richwine) from the US. I believe immigrant South Asian Pisa scores are also higher, though low in India.

Correction; I misread the spreadsheet, which gives some higher S. Asian estimates.
Still, Immigrant S, Asian scores esp. the Texas Gujarati do seem low in light of Indian (1st and second generation) performance in the US esp. given immigrant selection.
(2015-Jan-11, 21:41:47)Jm8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-Jan-11, 19:38:30)Jm8 Wrote: [ -> ]Piffer also, in the above link estimates UK Telegu IQ at 88 , UK Sri Lankan at 81, Baghdad Bengali at 85, and Texas Gujarati at 93,. These seem questionable considering (significantly higher) South Asian IQ and gsce performance in the UK, and socioeconomic levels and known IQ data(e.g.:Richwine) from the US. I believe immigrant South Asian Pisa scores are also higher, though low in India.

Correction; I misread the spreadsheet, which gives some higher S. Asian estimates.
Still, Immigrant S, Asian scores esp. the Texas Gujarati do seem low in light of Indian (1st and second generation) performance in the US esp. given immigrant selection.

A genotypic IQ of 97 for Gujarati Texas Indians is low? It's much higher than the average IQ of India estimate by Lynn (around 82).
(2015-Jan-11, 22:10:20)Duxide Wrote: [ -> ]

A genotypic IQ of 97 for Gujarati Texas Indians is low? It's much higher than the average IQ of India estimate by Lynn (around 82).

I believe Richwine's second generation estimate was 115, and Indians in the UShave an above average SES and educational attainment (due in part to positive immigrant selection).
(2015-Jan-11, 22:12:54)Jm8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-Jan-11, 22:10:20)Duxide Wrote: [ -> ]

I believe Richwine's second generation estimate was 115, and Indians in the US have an above average SES and educational attainment.
I doubt it's 115 based on real IQ tests but it's remarkable that the Gujarati get higher genotypic scores than other S.Asian groups.
There was one recent study that surprisingly found a 100-ish IQ for Vietnam. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...9613000731

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.c...pulations/
Jap: 75% N, 25% S
Chinese: 72%, 28%
Kinh (Vietnam) 57% 43%

No comparison data for the other SEA groups unfortunately. But if Vietnam has higher Chinese%, that may be part of the reason. Perhaps random chance+chinese admixture+g selection due to Vietnam war = total explanation?
@Duxide

What is the correlation/IQ prediction adding 3 of the latest alleles? Including the one that is more common among Africans?

The first 3 don't replicate that well from what I have seen. Which is the 4th allele you speak of? Where was it found?

Either way both GCTA and GWAS are simply imagining the effect size and function then assuming the correlation is causation. All can still be falsified with evidence to the contrary. Also so few have been found, 3 replicate somewhat and pretty much all in one Northern European ethnic group.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13